Monday, June 17, 2013

But seriously, people

Great example of why I'm here. Check this out:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/rio-police-use-tear-gas-on-3000-protesters/story-e6frea7u-1226664843197

At the request of my adviser I stayed far from this protest. The problem here is that the government got rid of all the informal (not government run) and inexpensive public transportation, and now they are raising the prices of the regular (government run) public transportation. So the lower classes (who need said transportation the most) are screwed, yet again. The quote about wanting basic needs met over the interest of up-coming mega events points to why my research here is important.

But what is on the front page of Yahoo today here in Rio?
I guess I'm relieved it's not just the US that has f*@*ed up priorities? Oh, wait, no I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment